Chaîne des rôtisseurs

flg_ag flg_bl flg_bs flg_be 1 flg_be 1 flg_fr flg_ge flg_gr flg_lu flg_ne flg_sg flg_so flg_sz flg_ur flg_zg flg_ti 1 flg_ti 1 flg_tg flg_vd flg_vs flg_zh 1 flg_zh 1 FR  DE  IT EN
AG BL BS BE-M BE-O FR GE GR LU NE SG SO CH-IN  CH-IN  CH-IN TI-SP TI-ST TG VD VS ZH-L ZH OMGD
A+ R A-

History

Statue of King Louis IX - "Saint Louis" Statue of King Louis IX - "Saint Louis"

Noble destiny – since 1248

The Chaîne des Rôtisseurs is an international gastronomic society founded in Paris in 1950. It is devoted to promoting fine dining and preserving the camaraderie and pleasures of the table. The Chaîne is originally based on the traditions and a practice of the old French royal guild of goose roasters – the goose, a type of poultry, was particularly appreciated during the Middle Ages. Its authority was gradually expanded to include the roasting of all poultry, meat and game.

The written history of the guild of "Les Oyers" or "Goose Roasters" has been traced back to the year 1248. At that time King Louis IX, later to be Saint Louis, assigned Etienne Boileau, the Provost of Paris, with the task of bringing order into the organisation of trades and guilds, developing young apprentices and improving the technical knowledge of guild members. He gathered together the charters of more than 100 of these trades, among them the Goose Roasters. Over the years, the activities and privileges of the Goose Roasters Guild were extended to preparing and selling all kinds of meat, including poultry and venison.

In 1509, during the reign of King Louis XII, some new statutes were introduced, which resulted in the change of the name of the guild to "Rôtisseurs" and its activities were restricted to poultry, game birds, lamb and venison. In 1610, under King Louis XIII, the guild was granted a royal charter and its own coat of arms. The original coat of arms consists of two crossed turning spits and four larding needles, surrounded by flames of the hearth on a shield. For over four centuries the "Confrérie" or brotherhood of the roasters cultivated and developed culinary art and high standards of professionalism and quality – standards befitting the splendour of the "Royal Table" - until the guild system was disbanded, together with all others, in 1793 during the French Revolution.

The rebirth in 1950

The Rôtisseurs were almost forgotten until 1950 when Dr. Auguste Becart, Jean Valby and "Prince" Curnonsky (elected Prince of Gastronomes), and chefs Louis Giraudon and Marcel Dorin resurrected the Society and created La Confrérie de la Chaîne des Rôtisseurs.

Since its rebirth the society has grown dramatically, spreading its influence and presence worldwide. Today the Chaîne counts some 25'000 personalities with political, business or cultural background in over 80 countries around the world. The Chaîne brings together professional (such as chefs, restaurant and hotel owners and managers) and non-professional members from around the world sharing the "spirit" of the Society and who appreciate and enjoy wine and fine dining.

This association of people dedicated to fine cuisine, now devotes itself to promoting and developing the gastronomic values whilst at the same time widening its focus to 'table art'. While a Confrérie is a "brotherhood," women have always been welcome and they take an active role in the society. By reviving the traditions most deeply rooted in French culture, the Chaîne des Rôtisseurs is restoring a heritage that was never really lost. Within the Chaîne there is also the "L'Ordre Mondial des Gourmets Dégustateurs" for those members who have a special knowledge of, or interest in, wine and spirits.

Chaîne des Rôtisseurs – France

The international headquarters (Siege Mondial) remains in Paris where the society was founded and the present day Chaîne des Rôtisseurs is still based on the traditions and practises of the ancient French brotherhood but now in a truly international and contemporary context.